Safe Exam Browser (SEB) is a web browser environment to carry out assessments online, safely. It controls access to resources like system functions, other websites and applications and prevents unauthorized resources being used during an exam.
On Teamie, any assessment (assignment/quiz) in which the SEB setting is enabled will have to be attempted only in a SEB. Let's see how you can do it.
This article will guide you on:
1. System shows “Address not found / seeing empty page in the browser / Untitled browser tab” when launching an SEB assessment.
Windows 7 Ultimate and 10 Firefox:
Users will experience this issue if they have not successfully installed SEB application onto their system and try to attempt SEB assessments directly.
- Check if SEB has been installed successfully on the system.
- If not, then download the SEB application and install it and then launch it through Teamie to attempt SEB assessments.
2. SEB is not configured properly.
This error may appear:
- If learners are launching SEB application directly from the system, but not through Teamie.
- If a learner has installed the SEB successfully and then directly clicks the “Launch in Safe Exam Browser” button from the SEB assessment’s landing page, after leaving the assessments page or materials listing page idle for a long time.
- If this error keeps populating then uninstall the SEB, restart your system and install SEB again. Once SEB is installed successfully, you may launch the SEB application through Teamie.
- Reload/refresh the materials listing page or assessment landing/instructions page before launching the SEB assessments from Teamie by clicking the “Launch in Safe Exam Browser” button.
3. System shows “Permitted or Prohibited process are running” error
SEB requires certain applications in the background to be closed. If any of these applications or processes are running in the background, then SEB will ask you to terminate those applications (terminate is referred to for closing the applications and not uninstalling them)
- Quit SEB application
- Kill the listed processes/applications from the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows, Cmd+Alt+Esc in Mac)
- Launch the SEB again through Teamie and start taking the assessment
4. SEB application Setup Failed to install properly.
The SEB application may fail to install properly due to one or more of the following reasons:
- If the dependent applications are not preinstalled, such as .Net Framework. Hence, please check and install the dependent applications if SEB fails to install them during the installation process. You may download .Net Framework from this link manually and install it - https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net472
- The current logged in user may not have required permissions/privileges to install the applications, hence install the SEB application using the administrator account on the system.
- If a user has installed/uninstalled SEB many times which might introduce new errors due to corrupt setup files being stored in the system. Hence, you may uninstall the SEB, restart the system and install SEB again and launch it from Teamie.
- SEB application may not be compatible with your system. Hence, check your system specifications and upgrade the system accordingly. Please see the table below which gives you the information about the supported Operating System versions:
|OS Type||Supported OS versions||Supported SEB Version
|Windows||Windows 8.1 and 10||Safe Exam Browser 3.2.0|
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10
Safe Exam Browser 2.4.1
macOS 11, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11
Safe Exam Browser 2.3.2
Please note that as per SEB's update policy, they only support the latest SEB version and will remove all older SEB versions after a grace period. Only with updated SEB versions you can achieve the best possible security and stability of e-assessments. Before asking any support question or reporting a bug, SEB recommend installing the latest SEB version and try to reproduce the issue with the most recent version.
5. System shows “Fatal error” when trying to launch SEB assessments through SEB application
Learners may experience this issue if they are quitting and launching SEB very frequently.
In order to overcome this issue, learners may avoid launching/quitting SEB application frequently. In case, the system keeps showing this error message, then you can try the following steps:
- Uninstall SEB from system
- Restart the system to ensure that the previously installed SEB files have been removed completely.
- Install SEB and launch it from Teamie once installation is completed. Please do not launch SEB directly from the system and it should always be opened through Teamie from any browser.
6. System shows “Startup Not Allowed” error when trying to launch SEB assessment.
The system will show this prompt if learner have clicked the “Launch in Safe Exam Browser'' button multiple times because the SEB application can’t execute multiple instances/windows/process
Click to launch the assessment in safe exam browser only once, do not click the “Launch in Safe Exam Browser'' button multiple times
7. System throws “Unauthorized Access! You are not authorized to take this exam. Click hear to leave” error.
This may happen on the Windows Legacy Version (Safe Exam Browser 2.4.1 for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10).
As per SEB's update policy, they only support the latest SEB version and will remove all older SEB versions after a grace period. SEB recommend installing the latest SEB version and try to reproduce the issue with the most recent version.
Also, as of 14 January 2020, your computer running Windows 7 will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:
1. Technical support for any issues
2. Software updates
3. Security updates or fixes
4. Any third party application can/could be installed but may not function properly (as in this case, it is happening with SEB application. Hence, we recommended to upgrade your operating system).
Users who are using windows 8 and 10 can use the latest version of SEB, instead of using the legacy version.
8. SEB Not in Application Folder! (MacOS specific)
This error may occur if the user has downloaded the DMG, but has not installed SEB by copying the SEB DMG file to the Applications folder on their mac device.
Workaround: Download the SEB DMG file. Open the DMG file and drag the applications icon to your Applications folder to install the SEB on your mac devices.
9. The file can't be found.(MacOS specific)
This error message may be shown when SEB was initially installed and then deleted.
Workaround: Download and install the SEB again.