A graded discussion is a type of assessment that allows instructors to create and publish a discussion post for you to comment and reply. As a learner, once you achieve the minimum engagement requirements for the graded discussion, it will be considered as completed. The score(s) of the discussion goes to the classroom gradebook along with other assessment types.
Note: Graded Discussion is a whitelabelled term and can vary from site to site. We will be using the term 'Discussion' as the whitelabelled term for the purpose of this documentation.
This article will guide you on:
1. As a learner, you will be notified of a published discussion, which you can then directly access from the notifications or the Materials page of the classroom/module.
2. In case a graded discussion has a due date, it will be shown in the ToDos and calendar section.
By default the Discussions are only shown on the 'Materials' page of a classroom. They are neither shown in the Global (homepage) newsfeed nor the Classroom's newsfeed.
Although, we have a site-level configuration which can be enabled on request and allows the published discussion posts to show up in the classroom/global newsfeed along with other type of posts (thought, question and task). Let's see how you can access/view discussion posts from the newsfeed.
1. On the Global (homepage) newsfeed, the Discussion posts will be shown similar to how other type of posts are shown. The discussion post will have an additional label at the top, above the creator's name, with a Discussion icon and title. The instructions of the discussion along with any attachments will be shown in the discussion post.
The discussions will start showing up in the newsfeed only after they are published by an instructor.
2. Similarly, the discussion posts are also shown on the classroom's newsfeed that they are shared with .
3. In case you wish to filter discussion posts in the global newsfeed, click Discussion under the POST TYPE filters.
4. All the discussions across your classrooms will be filtered and shown on the global newsfeed. Click Reset in order to reset the filter and view all the posts.
5. In case you wish to filter discussion posts in a classroom's newsfeed, click to expand the MORE FILTERS section and select Discussion to view all the published discussions shared in that classroom.
2. The minimum number of comment and/or replies will be mentioned on the discussions page. The discussion's instructions will also be shown according.
3. In case a rubric is attached to the discussion, it will also be shown on the page. You can click Rubric Attached to view the rubric's details.
4. Post the comment(s) as per the discussion's instructions. You can also attach files and audio recording to you comments or replies as per requirement.
5. Once you post the required number of comments/replies, the discussion will be considered as completed and a green tick will be shown on the discussion's page as well on the Materials page corresponding to the discussion.
6. The associated ToDos, if any, will also be considered as completed. Furthermore, the graded discussion will account for your classroom completion similar to how it works for other assessment types.
2. Once you access the discussions, you will be able to view all the comment and replies posted by the learners for that discussion. Click the like icon to like the required comment/reply.
3. The color of the like icon will change to the site's primary color and the like count will be shown to indicate the number of users who have liked that comment/reply.
4. In order to reply to a comment/reply, click its corresponding Reply button.
5. Then, add your reply and click Post. You can also attach files and audio recording to you replies as per requirement.
6. The learner whose comment/reply you have replied on will be notified.
2. Once you access the discussions, you will be able to view all the comment and replies posted by the learners for that discussion. In order to view only the comment/replies made by you, click the Show only mine checkbox. This nifty filter will help you quickly filter out all your comments and replies by highlighting them.